|Type of course:
|Language of instruction:
|Erasmus Language of instruction:
|Name of lecturer:
||Simona Camelia Varvara
||Roxana Nadina Bostan
|Form of education
|Form of instruction:
|Number of teaching hours per semester:
|Number of teaching hours per week:
|Form of receiving a credit for a course:
|Number of ECTS credits allocated
Developing the ability of the students to capitalize the practical knowledge of chemistry, biotechnology, biology and engineering and to apply them in the technological practice and control.
Acquiring basic knowledge on urban wastewaters and on their treatment procedures
Introducing the best technologies in the implementation of environmental strategies and plans in accordance with the legislation
Course Entry Requirements:
Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry and Instrumental Analysis, Mechanics, Hydraulics
1. Basic concepts on water pollution. The sources of water pollution.
2. Wastewaters. Types of wastewater. Wastewater quality indicators.
3. Basics principles of urban wastewater treatment. Urban wastewater pretreatment methods
4-5. Mechanical sewage treatment. Construction and dimensioning of grills, oil separators and oil separators and primary decanters
6. Biological treatment of waste water. Natural biological processes and installations.
7-8. Biological treatment with active sludge. Construction and sizing of biological sludge treatment plants with active sludge
9. Chemical treatment of wastewater. Neutralization. Precipitation. Coagulation and flocculation
10-11. Advanced sewage treatment. Procedures for advanced wastewater treatment. Removal of nitrogen from wastewater. Purification schemes
12. Advanced wastewater treatment. Procedures for advanced wastewater treatment. Removal of phosphorus from wastewater. Purification schemes
13. Physical and chemical procedures of advanced treatment
14. Basics of industrial water treatment processes. Technological procedures for the treatment of different types of used industrial water.
Lecture, conversation, exemplification, practical works/projects
1. Management and resolution of specific environmental issues for sustainable development
- Description and application of concepts, theories and practical methods/technologies for determining environmental quality status
- Qualitative and quantitative evaluation of natural phenomena and human activities affecting the quality of the environment
2. Introducing the best technologies in the implementation of environmental strategies and plans in accordance with the law
- Identification of accurate information about the best technologies available in the field
- Identification and implementation of technical solutions to solve problems
Learning outcomes verification and assessment criteria:
A one-hour written examination (60% of the final grade). The examination of the practical abilities acquired during the practical works (40% of the final grade).
M. von Sperling,,
Basic Principles of Wastewater Treatment, volumes 1-4, IWA Publishing House
D. Fatta-Kassinos, D. D. Dionysiou, K. Kümmerer (editors),
Advanced Treatment Technologies for Urban Wastewater Reuse (The Handbook of Environmental Chemistry), Springer, 2016, ISBN-13: 978-3319238852, Springer
Biological and Chemical Wastewater Treatment Processes, IntechOpen