|Type of course:
|Language of instruction:
|Erasmus Language of instruction:
|Name of lecturer:
||Viorel Alin Albu
|Form of education
|Form of instruction:
|Number of teaching hours per semester:
|Number of teaching hours per week:
|Form of receiving a credit for a course:
|Number of ECTS credits allocated
- to define, describe, and explain the key concepts, theories, methods specific to the historical discourse and to develop in students some specific skills about the quantitative and qualitative historical research;
- to identify and use the specific bibliographic and archival resources;
- to develop skills of analysis and interpretation of historical data;
- to identify the most important events and personalities which have marked the historical evolution of the Romanian Orthodox Church and the Romanian culture, and to notice the dynamics of events;
- to apply the principle of right interpretation of the historical phenomenon by the just reporting to its influence on the present
Course Entry Requirements:
1. Religious life of the Romanians in Transylvania during the 17th century: the metropolitans Ilie Iorest, Simion Stefan, Sava Brancovici and Varlaam; 2. The Metropolitanate of Wallachia in the 17th century: the metropolitans Teofil, Stefan, Varlaam and Teodosie; 3. The Metropolitan Antim Ivireanul of Wallachia; 4. The Metropolitans Varlaam and Dosoftei of Moldavia; 5. The Metropolitan Petru Movila. The Synod from Jassy (Iași), 1642; 6. The Metropolitanates of Wallachia and Moldavia during the fanariot regime; 7. The extra-Carpathian monasticism in the 18th century. The abbot Paisie Velicicovschi and his disciples; 8. Other representative metropolitans, bishops and bishoprics in the medieval period; 9. The Romanian Orthodox Priesthood in the Middle Ages; 10. The Orthodox Religious art in the medieval period; 11. The theological literature during the 17th-18th centuries; 12. Relationships of the Romanian Orthodox Church with the other Churches in the Middle Ages.
Lecture, exemplification, conversation, debate.
- critical, selective and systematic attitude towards historical information;
- ability of applying the principles for understanding a historical document in an appropriate manner, respectively, to take into account all elements involved (linguistic, socio-cultural, political, religious, etc.), and interpret both in a synchronous and diachronic mode;
- critical reading skills on bibliographic sources and ability to initiate own research;
- interpretation and critical evaluation of the history of the Romanian Church in different contexts.
Learning outcomes verification and assessment criteria:
Written paper-interpretative essay – 20%.Frontal evaluation/ Oral exam: 80%
Istoria Bisericii Ortodoxe Române, Trinitas
Istoria Bisericii Ortodoxe Române. Note de curs, ”1 Decembrie 1918”
, Alba Iulia
, 53+61 p.
Istoria Bisericii Ortodoxe Române. Evenimente, personalități, instituții, Reintregirea
, Alba Iulia
, 388 p.